New article on Using Maltego for Network Infrastructure Enumeration posted on EthicalHacker.net
Any organization that has an Internet presence needs to have some form of infrastructure to support their presence. During Infrastructure Enumeration you attempt to discover how much of it exists, what type of infrastructure is used, where it is located, what technology is used and how it is structured. This type of information is interesting for:
* Security assessments (as this is the first and most tedious phase of any external assessment).
* Getting an idea of the organization’s Internet and geographical presence.
* Gaining insight into the technology used by the organization.
* Making connections between seemingly unconnected organizations (as they might be sharing common infrastructure).
* Getting a list of brands or affiliations supported by the organization.